Where this somewhat strange name comes from has never been quite clear, but what is certain is that the present Oude Herbergh enjoyed regional fame for over two and a half centuries as De Oude Herberg.
Passers-by stopped for a rest and enjoyed a drink and a bite to eat before continuing on their way. There was no opportunity to make a night of it though because the innkeeper regularly locked the door at the end of the afternoon.
Although many hold on to the belief that the Koude Herberg (Cold Inn) owes its name to the fact that the innkeeper gave his guests anything but a warm welcome, others assume that it was precisely the evening closing that explains the name: where you would normally be able to spend a warm night in other inns, the inn on the Utrechtseweg was deserted and cold at night.
The name De Koude Herberg appears in the registers for the first time in 1725; the innkeeper had pledged his property at that time for a mortgage. On 2 December 1808, the inn became the property of Hendrik van Veelen for the sum of 4,500 Dutch guilders. In 1835, a fire literally and figuratively threw a spanner in the works, but Hendrik van Veelen was able to restore the building back to its former glory within a year.
In 1853, a merchant from Amsterdam bought the inn at a bargain price and converted it into a country house. On the present location of De Oude Herbergh the loss of a catering business was compensated for by the opening of a boarding house (via land exchange) with a café attached that, for the sake of convenience, was also called De Koude Herberg. In the 80s of the last century the name changed into De Oude Herbergh. In January 2005, the catering business really starts to take off: Sander and Miranda van de Wetering take over the business and build up the restaurant and bed & breakfast to the extent that it becomes widely known throughout the region.